- A agreement in which one party sells a security to another party and agrees to repurchase it on a specified date for a specified price. See: repurchase agreement. The New York Times Financial Glossary
* * *
• We sell bank repos (= homes that have been repossessed by banks ) .2. also ˈrepo aˌgreement informal an occasion when the holder of particular bonds sells them and agrees to buy them back on a specific date in the future at a fixed price. central bank S use repos to control the money supply (= the amount of money in the economy) by buying back government bonds for specific periods of time; = REPURCHASE AGREEMENT:
• Repos are a cheap way of raising money.reˌverse ˈrepo FINANCEan occasion when a borrower returns money to a lender for a specified time and at an agreed price; = reverse repurchase agreement:
• To drain cash from the market, a central bank can execute reverse repos.repo something → out phrasal verb [transitive] informal FINANCEto sell bonds in a repo:
• By repoing out their securities, fund managers can earn revenues equivalent to several percentage points on the value of their portfolio.
* * *► See Repurchase Agreement.
* * *Ⅰ.repo UK US /ˈriːpəʊ/ noun INFORMAL► [U] FINANCE, STOCK MARKET ABBREVIATION for repurchase: the act of buying back shares, bonds, etc. that you have already sold: »
The creation of repo facilities will make the gilt-edged market more liquid by allowing investors to raise cash by lending their stock.»
Britain lags behind America, Germany, France, and Italy in not having a repo market for government stock.► [C] PROPERTY ABBREVIATION for repossession: a house that has been taken by a bank, etc. because the owners cannot pay back the loan that they took to buy it: »
If you buy a repo through an auction, you should check there are no hidden problems.► [U] PROPERTY, FINANCE ABBREVIATION for repossession: the act of taking something from someone because they cannot continue to pay for it : »
Confusion over administration is a common feature of arrears and repo cases.Ⅱ.repo UK US /ˈriːpəʊ/ verb [T] INFORMAL► ABBREVIATION for repossess: to take back something from someone who is buying it over a period of time because they cannot continue to make payments : »
In many of these cases, the bank is threatening to repo the house.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Repo — may refer to:* Repurchase agreement, a financial instrument * The repossession of collateral for a defaulted loan * A Software repository, a stockpile of software assets such as binaries and source code available on the internet * Repo! The… … Wikipedia
Repo — ist die englische Abkürzung für Rückkaufvereinbarung die Abkürzung für Reponie die Abkürzung für Repositorium der Film Repo! The Genetic Opera des Regisseurs Darren Lynn Bousman der Familienname von Matti Repo, finnischer lutherischer Bischof im… … Deutsch Wikipedia
repo — re·po / rē ˌpō/ n pl repos 1: repurchase agreement 2: repossession Merriam Webster’s Dictionary of Law. Merriam Webster … Law dictionary
repo — (del araucano «repu»; Chi.) m. Arbusto, especie de arrayán de gran tamaño, que llega a alcanzar los 6 m de altura; su madera es tan dura que los indios la empleaban para encender fuego frotando un trozo con otro. ⇒ *Planta. * * * repo. (Del… … Enciclopedia Universal
repo — by 1972 (in repo man), Amer.Eng., short for REPOSSESS (Cf. repossess) or repossession … Etymology dictionary
repo — (Del mapuche repu). m. Arbusto americano de la familia de las Verbenáceas, especie de arrayán de gran tamaño, pues llega a alcanzar seis metros de altura, con las hojas opuestas o alternas y aovadas, que llevan una espina larga en su axila,… … Diccionario de la lengua española
repo — ☆ repo [rē′pō ] n. pl. repos 1. Slang something repossessed 2. an agreement by a seller, as of securities, to repurchase in the near future at an agreed upon price … English World dictionary
repo — An agreement between a seller and a buyer, usually in U.S. government securities, in which the seller agrees to buy back the security at a later date. Also: repurchase agreements Chicago Board of Trade glossary An informal name for a repurchase… … Financial and business terms
Repo — Un repo, dont le nom juridique français est pension livrée, est le surnom mondialement utilisé qui a été donné aux États Unis aux repurchase agreements, ou accords de rachat, importants instruments financiers du marché monétaire. Sommaire 1… … Wikipédia en Français
repo — [“ripo] 1. n. a repossessed car. □ It’s a repo, and I got it cheap. □ I’d rather have a plain used car than a repo. 2. tv. to repossess a car. □ Some guy came around and tried to repo my car. □ … Dictionary of American slang and colloquial expressions